Friday 20 April 2018

CZ 175


My mates and I had bought three MOT failure CZ175s and a crash damaged B reg CZ125 from the local breakers for 75 quid. Only two of the 175s were serviceable as one was seized. The 125 had a GT185 front end installed to replace the mangled forks it came with. I kept one of the 175s and had no problem with l the MOT. I did find the bike rather gutless at high revs so I did a few mods to bring it up to the MX175 spec. Well, actually, all I did was fit a K&N filter and a 55 pilot jet, a 100 main jet and lift the needle up a notch. The redundant airbox was used to carry the two stroke oil bottle and some tools. 

The bike soon entered a strange commuting life. Ride down to Poole railway station, stick it on the train to Southampton and then a 3 mile blast to the training centre l was attending. And back again for the journey home. At night, just in case some light fingered MZ or Cossack owner tried to advance themselves the bike was locked up with a padlock and motorcycle chain. The bike spent 1987 Christmas week on the station platform without getting nicked or assaulted.

The CZ performed quite well the whole time apart from when the reserve tap decided it wasn't going to work, luckily right outside a filling station, and the bolt fell out of the front of the tank causing it to leak under heavy braking.

It all depends on what type of machine you were riding before you put a leg over a CZ. If you come from a modern Jap it will seem very crude with an agricultural gearbox, spine sapping suspension, heavy controls and a distinct lack of brakes. If you come from some ancient Jap hack it will seem to have wonderfully taut handling and a reasonable amount of accelerative urge.

Engine reliability is generally OK, the most likely problems are electrical. Even when the electrical system is working at its optimum, the 6V headlamp is useless. Indicators are usually thrown away and things like brake lights fall apart rapidly.

The highlight of all the commuting journeys came just after Christmas when a then new TZR125 pulled up alongside at a set of traffic lights and the owner sneered at my trusty steed. The lights went to green, he moved forward a length and I shot past him to the other side. It was an unfair match, my 19hp and 15ft/lbs versus 12hp and 8ft/lbs. Just goes to show how looks can deceive!

When the last day of the training course came I decided to ride back to Poole via the M27. As the bike was now redundant and I had my RAC recovery card handy, I decided to see how fast the CZ would actually go. The moment I got on to the motorway the engine cut out. Prising the timing cover off revealed that the contact breaker had broken. Luckily, I had a spare set with me and after setting the timing I was on my way again.

The speedo belted around to the 70mph mark quite quickly for a 175. In between 75 and 80mph the handlebars started tingling unbearably. Once past 80mph the sensation ceased. By now I was in the fast lane creating a huge smoke trail and getting surprised looks from everyone I passed, especially the CB250N in the middle lane!

I got up to 87mph before l went prone on the tank, which didn’t do much for increasing the speed. The bike didn't blow up, fall apart or anything. it actually kept up an indicated 80mph right to the end of the M27, but dropped to a humble 45mph when confronted with the steep hill one mile on to the dual carriageway.

l rode it around for a week after that until one day the chain snapped, shot up the fully enclosed chaincase and went through the dynamo bulkhead, stopping the engine dead while travelling at 40mph. The gearbox was wrecked but as CZ175 engines are so easy to come by in this area, l just junked the whole motor and fitted another one in rather than do a rebuild.

I sold it a few weeks later to a biker who was working in a holiday camp who wanted a cheap set of wheels. Six months later I was down the breakers when I spotted my old 175. The MOT had expired and with inflation, l had to cough up £25 more than I paid for it first time around. For the next two years it lived at the back of the house awaiting my attention. It was sold to a friend’s son to use as a field bike and now sports big knobblies and enough acceleration to burn off a '89 RM80 across the fields.

Summing up, the CZ175 makes a good second bike for work and winter riding just the same as the MZ250. They are better and less hassle than the CZ250 twins which I have also ridden. Fuel consumption is around 65mpg compared with 60mpg and 85mph from the 250 Sport and 85mpg and 75mph for the 250 deluxe twin. The only real thing against them is their looks. The frame, suspension and engine are all better than you would at first suspect. 

Sentinel